For me, motivation is hard to come by at times. Life is busy and during the holiday season, it is magnified two fold. I get excited when people that I have met through blogging hold a challenge of their own or merely mention one that they are contributing to. It provides me with a direction to follow for crafting a post that would otherwise not exist. I want to keep moving forward and to stay in touch without always having to concoct something from nothing, hoping that it catches on. I am not always able to put myself in the right headspace to write but I want to stay engaged and at times, I need help from others to do so. I came across a bit of unsolicited help today, thanks to Tyrean Martinson.
I have been tuning in to creatives that contribute to IWSG since I returned earlier this year and Tyrean is one of them. My reasoning is two fold. I need to arm myself with what others have experienced in their own journey. Reading the work of others creates a drive in me that I cannot muster on my own. I need constant reminding that the work will be worth it and that I am capable. (I guess I am still a little needy in this aspect.) It helps me focus. I also hope to build my own site and one of the best ways to do so is to follow and actively participate with others that are trying to make a go of the writing game.
I don't know if Tyrean meant to start a challenge when she posted her November 17 entry but I am going to accept it as such and roll with it.
I'll begin by sharing what I am thankful for.
MY LITTLE GIRL
Sweetie, you may never read this, but you bring an unconceivable amount of joy to my heart. A joy that cannot be quantified by using mortal words. You have my complete attention and until I return to the dirt, that will not change. You are a burning light in the darkness, my dear. I simply would be unable to carry on without you. Dada loves you more than anything on this earthly plain.
To say that the last eighteen months have been turbulent is an understatement. It has become blatantly clear to me that I need my family. My father and sisters hold a dear place in my soul. I could go on about each of them but this post would never end. My mother, who passed in February 2022, is missed dearly. She fought fearlessly for her family. Where there was once an unwavering love, there is now a tangible void in the same. Her words and loving embrace still reverberate in the depths of my soul.
FRIENDS (Extended Family)
Some have passed away and some have decided to leave but the few that matter, the core group, remain. Over the years, we have stayed in contact but getting together had proven difficult. Obligations to family and scheduling conflicts had filled in the once empty time slots. Now that our children are grown and are not as dependent on us, we are able to reconnect more regularly and it feels good to have the boys back in the fold. They are not blood, but they might as well be. I would have never made it through my twenties and thirties without them. And now, in our forties, I cannot thank them enough for extending a hand and being fully engaged when needed.
Books (Series) That I Am Thankful For (In no particular order.)
- 1. This Beautiful Mess - Rick McKinley
- 2. Walking With Arthur - James O'Donnell
- 3. Messy Spirituality - Michael Yaconelli
- 4. The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
- 5. Wheel of Time (Series) - Robert Jordan (I must add an addendum here. I petered out on Fires of Heaven but plan on restarting/finishing the entire series.)
- 6. The Wayfarer Redemption (Trilogy) - Sara Douglass
- 7. Brain Lock - Jeffrey M. Schwartz
- 8. Left Behind (Series) - Tim LaHaye & Jerry B. Jenkins (Again, petered out. My favorite characters starting getting knocked off and I got frustrated. Planning on restarting/finishing.)
- 9. The Blood Gospel - James Rollins & Rebecca Cantrell
- 10. Where The Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls (I sob every time. Last time with my daughter, a couple of years back. Grade school assignment. I am a sap.)
- 11. The Iron Tower - Dennis L. McKiernan
- 12. The Shack - William P. Young
A to Z - Artists (Bands) That I am Thankful For
- A. Audioslave
- B. Blind Melon
- C. Chevelle
- D. Death Cab for Cutie
- E. Everclear
- F. Ben Folds
- G. G. Love & Special Sauce
- H. Ben Harper
- I. Incubus
- J. Jack Johnson
- K. The Killers
- L. Live
- M. Mutemath
- N. Nirvana
- O. O.K. Go
- P. Pearl Jam
- Q. Queens of The Stone Age
- R. Ren
- S. Staind
- T. Tool
- U. Underoath
- V. Violent Femmes
- W. Weezer
- X. (Uhhh, nothing for X)
- Y. (Errr, nothing for Y)
- Z. The Zutons