Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Change

“Nothing endures but change.” ― Heraclitus 

 It isn't a mystery. We all change over time. Some of the time, change is for the better but, in my experience, it is normally not welcome. I don't tolerate change very well. Even the slightest change can alter the delicate line I walk. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Emphasis on the word obsessive. I get something stuck in my mind and in turn, will obsess over it until I break or it breaks. Usually, depending on the severity of the issue, I break first. As a side effect, I experience a great deal of anxiety. With the help of therapy and meds, I am able to fend off most of the anxiety attacks. I have researched OCD a great deal and over time, I have figured out bits and pieces of different techniques that aid in calming me down.

 The big stuff though...That is tough.

 The year 2022 can kiss off.
 
 February 2022, we lost my mom unexpectedly.
 September 2022, we lost my mother in law unexpectedly.

 Both had some health concerns but they were not stricken with anything that had us on alert.
 A shock to the system for all of us.

I looked up to both women for different reasons. My mother was stubborn to a fault but taught me how to love unconditionally. She loved her family that way. She loved my sisters and I, my dad, her grandchildren, my wife and the rest of our relatives with her whole heart.
My sisters and I were fortunate to have lived long lives with her at our side. She fought for us fearlessly, even when we were wrong.

My mother in law was an unbelievably strong person. She had seen her fair share of this ugly world and through it all, she never wavered in her faith that God's promises to us all would be fulfilled in time. Even our wrong doings, our faults and our sins would be wiped clean from the slate at the end. She still found a way to accept me even when I was at my worst.

I miss these two women dearly.
 

  "I don't know that love changes. People change. Circumstances change." - Nicholas Sparks 

 Let's move forward a touch, shall we? The year 2023. And like 2022, it can go to hell also.


My wife and I had a good run but in the end, I was simply not able to change and grow enough.

For twenty one years and some change, we were able to hold it together but it just fell apart over time.
We have made the decision to move forward but not with each other.

"All you need is love!" 
The Beatles had it wrong.

You also need structure, stability and have the ability to be open with those with whom you care deeply. I had the love part in check but the rest was difficult and it may have been my undoing.
 Sometimes, it's just not enough. Sometimes, one or both parties just get to the point where they have had to fight too hard and they grow too weary to continue on.

Years of locking myself up internally and not being available to her had finally taken a toll that was unrepairable. I'll live with that for the remainder of this life. My focus now is to build a stronger mind. One that can withstand the hardships that can spring up during life and support and nurture a future relationship, if I am meant to have one.

The best experience to come out of our relationship is the birth of our baby girl. I never knew what real joy was until she came into my life. Now, I have an opportunity to reconnect with her after so many years of being distant. I am fully engaged and willing to be the daddy she needs now.
I still have a few tethers holding me in place and she is one of them.


It has been a long while since I have posted on this platform and I do look forward to posting again, as I find it very therapeutic. It is a place to loose some of the thoughts that rattle around upstairs. I also enjoy the relationships I build with other bloggers. 

For the most part, I try to end many of my posts with a musical number related to the post material and this will be no different. I have chosen an oldie but goodie, as it pertains to my current situation completely. I hope it gives you hope if your down or adds to an already decent day if your up. 
Be well.

Change - Blind Melon














2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm very sorry about your mother, mother-in-law, and your marriage. That's a lot of crap in one year. I lost my mother in 2021 and 2020 was the year of insanity, so both of those years can go to hell.
Been a very long time but glad to hear from you!

ib said...

Alex, thanks for taking the time. Hope all is well.