Thursday, April 04, 2024

"D" is for Dance - A to Z 2024


I have recently started decluttering and clearing out old boxes that had been stored and happened upon an old notebook of sketches and scribbles from long ago. A buddy of mine (we will call him B) and I used to sit atop the roof of his rental and write whatever came to us. Back then, I had dedicated a decent amount of time to writing poetry. There was a freedom in putting pen to paper and it also aided in calming the restlessness of being a young adult, trying to navigate life. That old notebook would go with me where ever I went and when inspiration would hit, I'd jot down the thought and rehash it at a later date. At the time, I had no idea how these pieces, written so long ago and before I had experienced real struggle, would come back to meet me on the road that I am currently travelling.

"When you dance with the devil, the devil doesn't change. The devil changes you."
- Amanda Hocking

A poem, written circa 1999.

The Dance

I lay my weary head upon a soft retreat.

The dance begins. 

The devil gnashes his teeth atop my left shoulder,
while God rests patiently upon the right.

Sad man, tired man,
What is your plan?
To sleep me away
Until you wake again?

Your mind is water,
as you drown in the deep.
And you know, as well as I,
there is a means to an end
beneath where you sleep.

Pay no mind to his ramblings!
His words are no more than the blowing of a chilled wind.

I'm tired.
Rest child.

I drift into darkness,
but still hear his call.
Alone in a dream,
I rest but still fall.

We twist, we turn,
our thoughts intertwine,
trapped in slumber,
for brief moments in time.

We awake and prepare,
for the next day begins.
Only to dance,
upon the sunlight,
ending again.


How does a seemingly random thought, born approximately twenty-five years ago, hold so much weight today? I wrote this piece when life was simple and drama free. The only real pain I had experienced was the passing of my grandfather in 1992. It's odd, to me, how life comes full circle.

Allow me to introduce you to one of my favorite artists, Ren Gill.

As with most of my posts, I will leave you with a musical piece, but be warned, there is some vulgarity and the lyrical content is intense, in my opinion. I implore you to listen to the entire song, especially the last minute and a half. Ren speaks truth and does not hold his tongue. Keep "The devil on one shoulder and God on the other" in mind while taking this song in. It is worth your time and I do hope you enjoy. It fits perfectly with the subject matter.

PSA: I skipped the letter "C" because I am still working through it but will post when finished.

And without further ado!





4 comments:

Pearson Report said...

I liked your poem - much is relatable. I think, as flawed beings, we are often dancing with the devil - challenging ourselves to find the light, the way forward that is less of a struggle.
What I've learned, living my life, is that life is a struggle, learning to cope is where the hidden happiness lies. In between the folds of heartache and despair we can find the path, the way, the good... all things have shadows, until the light prevails.

Sending smiles, Jenny

ib said...

Jenny, the spoken portion of the song touches on this well. It speaks of a pendulum, swaying from the dark to the light. I would agree, struggle is always there and how we handle the adversity dictates our happiness. Good on you. Thanks for stopping by.

D.A.Cairns said...

ummm...ahhh...errr. Thank you so much for sharing that song. It left me gobsmacked, speechless. It's brilliant. I've never heard of Ren Gill. However, I have of course heard of the concept of the dance and am reminded of a song by my favourite band, POD: "Life's real when angels and serpents dance...one must lead in the dance, who's leading you?"

https://dacairns.com.au/blog/f/a-to-z-blogging-challenge-d

ib said...

DA, thanks for stopping in. I will have to check out POD again. It has been a minute since I listened to them. Ren is very edgy and many of his songs speak on his illness. NF is another artist that I lean into when difficulty arises. Hope that you stop back in. The last couple days has been extremely busy and I have not had an opportunity to post but I'll catch up and get back up to speed soon.