Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Time To Ride A Coat Tail Or Two

I pray that this finds you well.

One could conclude that I have been in a funk lately, and I would agree. Things have been increasingly stressful over the past year round here and the more time that passes by, the more difficult it is becoming for me to focus on any one thing. Now, you could attribute it to O.C.D. if you want to and I would concur. Couple that with not having any luck finding employment, and you are left with a big pile o' funk.

I like the word funk.

Writing has taken a back seat. Not because I do not want to write, but because I find myself backspacing and erasing more than pushing forward and completing anything of substance. Every time that I start something, I redo the sentence structure, re-write a line or two that read wrong or just plain sounded stupid, and I do this so much that I lose the concept of the post and quit on the idea altogether. That can be completely pinned on O.C.D. and a substantial fear of putting something out there that is lousy. But, as they say in Hollywood, "put the hooker in the RV, and hit the road." So, that's what I'm gonna do.....minus the hooker.....and RV.....and Hollywood.

I have decided to ride the coattails of someone else's idea to get the creative juices rolling again. I follow a dude named Alex J. Cavanaugh and few other writers than I came across while reading his blog. He has a few books to his credit (which I haven't read yet, but plan to when I can earn some extra ends) and seems like an otherworldly cool dude, so it should not be a shock that I would pay attention to what he is doing. And he likes ninjas, guitars and Kate Beckinsale. BONUS! But any who!

Hosted by Mark “The Madman” Koopman, ”Marvelous” Morgan Shamy, Stephen “Breakthrough” Tremp, and David “Kingpin” Powers King, the Blog Fest runs from December 10 - 12. 

Some of his beloved friends have started a blog fest in his name and I figured that the best way for me to get back into the saddle, would be to post something that come with built in direction that is not that of my own. The rules seem simple enough. Sign up, answer the predetermined questions as follows, and then allow his uber awesomeness an opportunity to lube up your feel goods and make you writhe with the comfy cozy on the inside. Easy enough, huh? I know, right?

In +/- 20 words, what does Alex look like?
I imagine Alex is mysterious in formal appearance, as a shinobi shozoko is meant to hide a ninjas true identity.

In +/- 20 words, who could play Alex in a documentary? (Living or dead.)
Snake Eyes (from GI Joe fame.) Only a ninja can pull off playing a ninja. Or, maybe Chris Farley. (And that is not a knock on any weight issue, as Alex is a slender beast, I imagine. I was simply staying true to the ninja playing a ninja thing. Beverly Hills Ninja.)

In +/- 20 words, who does Alex remind you of?
Alex reminds me of myself, back when I was cool. My coolness wore off when my wife gave birth to my lovely daughter. All of my cool points were removed from me and infused into my daughter at a molecular level. Coolness stock = Plummet. The Dow Jones of cool stock can suck my left nah....thumb.

In +/- 100 words, (excluding the title) write flash fiction using all these prompts: 
CavanaughNinjaIWSGCosbolt Guitar

At the Cavanaugh dojo, the ninja trains for all styles of combat. Whether it be hand to hand or sword to sword, the ninja must all ways enter a higher state of consciousness by tapping into his/her IWSG and allow the world around him/her to envelope him/her wholly. Then and only then, can one master the dual wielding guitar of fire and clash rock the cosbolt.

SNOOGANS!

For Bonus Points: 
In +/- 40 words, leave a comment for Mrs. Cavanaugh:

Mrs. Cavanaugh, thank you for putting Alex's best foot forward for him. I too, am a husband and know that behind every good man, stands an even awesomer woman. Continue doing whatever it is that you are doing. Alex has touched many lives with your hand guiding him and will continue to do so as long as he has your best interests at the forefront of his thoughts.


8 comments:

Mynx said...

I dont follow Alex but I think I might need to now, considering he is great enough to warrent a blog fest.

I am just so happy to see you back.
I am sorry you are in a funk. I hope you come back again soon

Pickleope said...

Hold on, you're borrowing someone else's creative juices? Eeeeeeewwwww.
Blog about your frustration if you're coming up dry on other fronts. Pontificate on news stories. Or fantasize about punching a politician....I may have revealed too much about my own creative process.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was great! Hope it did inspire your creativity again. I doubt you lost ALL your coolness when your daughter was born. I don't even have kids, so maybe that's uncool? (And no, I don't look anything like Chris Farley.)
Thanks again and here's hoping your next IWSG post is on a positive note!

Al Penwasser said...

Any post which is "Ninja Friendly" is okay by me.
Although, a picture of a hooker in an RV would be sweet.

Morgan said...

I loved this down to earth, honest post. And such a lovely tribute to Alex! He does rock. And I love your humor. LOL-ing at the "losing your cool" and the "minus the hooker...and Rv...and Hollywood" stuff. Too funny!

Keep pushing. And thanks for participating in this Alexfest. :D

David P. King said...

Snakeeyes? Perfect! I can't think of a better comparison. Now, I wonder if he talks in real life, too ... Thank you for participating! :)

ib said...

Mynxy, DO IT!!!! You will be ever so happy that you did.

Pickle, thanks for stopping by and thanks for the idears. I could go on and on concerning the political arena and that is what I am afraid of. With my luck, men in black would surround my house, probe me anally and leave me with more questions than answers.

Alex, thanks for your support. I do "plan" on getting back more often and look forward to the next IWSG. Until then, God bless.

Al, I could probably get you a picture of a hooker and an RV. Get me a few days to work on that.

Morgan, thanks for stopping in. I am truly happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself. Swing in more often if you dare. :)

David, thanks for peeking in. I imagine Alex does speak some. It would be difficult to pull off a book signing without the gift of gab. Although, Snake Eyes could do it. Who would question his silence? He is about as frightening as Chuck Norris.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Very nice tribute to our Alex, Hobbit. You did good. I think Chris is a super choice. He was one truly original guy. Merry Christmas!