Tuesday, September 25, 2012

You Want My Vote?



I loathe the word politics.

I should begin by admitting to you that, when it comes to politics, I am not the proverbial “go to source” for information in the arena of political sciences. Anything that is said from here on out is completely my own opinion/observation, has been crafted for fun and should be taken as such. 

I would not classify myself as a staunch supporter of the Republican, Democratic or Independent parties and when it comes to my vote, you would likely have more success forecasting the weather than you would guessing who it is that I am voting for. In the past, I have voted for nominees across the board. The election of 1992 was the first election that I was able to register for and I voted for Bill Clinton (D). Yes, he banged an intern and no, it did not bother me. I was young then and if I were in said position, I may have done the same thing. I would like to think that I would have picked a more attractive intern to invite into the o-o-o-o-oval office for a one on one but I digress. I did question his character after the scandal but when it was all said and done, he did what he was elected to do. Run the country and avoid sinking it like the Titanic, while assisting the world abroad when needed.  In 1996, I voted for Ross Perot (I). When R.P. ran, we were all worried about the economy and the little weasel had the credentials to fix it, or so it seemed. Combine that with his “take care of business” attitude and southern twang and BAM, hook, line and stinker. Some would say that I wasted my vote but to you, I say, it was my vote. It was my vote and I wasted it as I saw fit, so deal with it. As we all know, Bill Clinton ended up winning but I was not bothered by that, as he did a commendable job during his first term. In 2000 and 2004, I voted for G-Dub (R) by default, as I did not think that Gore or Kerry could run a day care, let alone an entire country. Even though I did place my vote, I did so questioning my decision for the next four years. At that point in my life, I felt that it was my obligation to the country to cast a vote, even if I did not like any of the candidates. That would change over the course of Dub’s second term, as I would come to question a good majority of what he was doing while in office and in turn, why I voted for him in the first place. In 2008, I did not register to vote and had no real will to do so. I blame it on the skyrocketing gas prices and a day long turtle head that was poking out on account of consuming some bad Taco Bell the evening prior to election day. Looking back, if a gun was put to my head, I would have voted for *McCain.

Fast forward four years. Barack Obama is once again pining for your vote, as is his opponent; Mitt Romney. And again, I find myself wondering which nominee will do the least amount of damage. It’s pretty pathetic really, when one looks around and comes to the conclusion that these are the best candidates for the job. Pretty much anyone else would get serious consideration from me, granted he/she could count to one hundred by ten and act somewhat human.

Barack Obama is engaging. He is well spoken and says what many people want to hear. I question his motives as well as his ability to DO what he says he’s WANTS TO DO, but whatever. I hear him talking a lot but I don’t see him doing a lot. I want to like him but, he smells of dirty rat.

Mitt Romney just oozes douche bag. Everything that I have heard him say seems rehearsed and arrogant. He holds himself on a very high pedestal while speaking to us, the little people, and it drives me bonkers. I find it difficult for me to watch him on T.V. for more than two minutes without wanting to gouge my own eyes out with a spork.

Thus far, I am undecided. Each candidate has his moments but they are far and few between. I'm thinking that I may throw my vote toward the Constitution Party candidate, Virgil Goode. (Yes, there is such a party and Virgil is an actual candidate.) Why, you ask? Well, duh. For no other reason than to truly, be able to say, "I told you so!" It's either that or another trip to Taco Bell will be in my near future.


*Old people make the most sense when speaking on issues because they hold more life experience over that of a younger person. I.M.H.O., experience always trumps savvy, always.



5 comments:

Al Penwasser said...

Nowadays, I look upon the presidency of Bill Clinton as the prime ministership of Winston Churchill during WWII.
I think I'm going to hold my nose on November 6th.
I'll be glad when it's over, though.

Pickleope said...

Third party all the way. People say it's "throwing my vote away" but at least I'll feel better knowing I voted for someone who isn't just a disgusting puppet/scarecrow stuffed with dollar bills. Maybe I should drop off the grid and carve blog posts on trees.

Mynx said...

My own country's politics baffle me, I am not going anywhere near yours. Good luck with that election

Pearson Report said...

I always know where I can come for a good laugh...which came at the appropriate moment as I read: "Mitt Romney just oozes douche bag."

I find if fascinating with so many people to choose from the characters selected to handle the job of manning the fort is left to the likes of Mitt et al.

I tuned into the first debate and will see how the next two go. All I can say is, "God save America!"

Cheers, Jenny

Jennifer said...

I have seriously considered deleting several friends from my Facebook because of their ridiculous Political status updates. I can't wait until this election is over!