Tuesday, July 03, 2012

I.W.S.G. July 2012




Hello. My name is iB, and I am an insecure writer. Knowing this does not help. It compounds the problem. I second guess everything I write/type and as a result, find that I spend more time backspacing than I do pushing forward. When you couple that with writers block and a healthy dose of O.C.D., you get unfinished projects that linger in the brainials just long enough to be forgotten and I hate that because many o' great ideas have fallen to the wayside due to said hesitation.

Along with the aforementioned hesitation, fear is another (and probably the most destructive) reason as to why I cannot finish anything that I start. It's the fear of failure. The fear that, among real writers, my idea not be received well and in turn, ripped to pieces because it did indeed, suck, and if that were the case, it would be the death nail in the box that seals the fate of any future attempts of writing anything with substance.

If you wish to take part in the Insecure Writer's Support Group, mosey on over to Alex J. Cavanaugh and inquire within.

Underoath - In Regards To Myself






6 comments:

Ella said...

I have that fear virus, too!
We have to push through it, thick of it like thick fog...it will dissipate at some point in time.
Nothing wrong with working on several things at a time! Hang in there and keep at it! I believe all writers share this fear. We are in good company~ Nice to meet you!

PapaBear said...

Not be good enough is the mantra most of us in ISWG scream daily. I spent 40 years thinking I wasn't good enough and started, but never finished six novels. But this time with a great course from Holly Lisle and a lot support from a bunch of friendly Writers, I know my current project will actually make it to see the light of day. Don't give up and keep plugging away. The key for me was to realize that the First Draft is always CRAP! This at least will, hopefully, get me through the a finished document that I can then take into Revision. Up until now I spent much of my time going back to revise in the midst of the book. Which is why I never finished anything. Stick with it and it will happen. And remember...you are not alone. Good to meet you ~PapaBear

Pickleope said...

We all have the fear, right? But this, blog posts, are kind of a river. Drop your fear in the river and move on. I'd prefer more posts from you than the extra-polished stuff.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Most of us don't feel good enough. But we have to risk failure if we want to grow. Besides, fail enough times and you have to succeed eventually!

Lexa Cain said...

My best advice is to start small --- get involved in a writing community (like writing.com or Scribophile) and write short stories and get feedback as you give feedback to others. It's a great way to learn to write better and get over the fear of having your work reviewed.
Good luck! :-)

Mynx said...

I am just really happy to see you on my blog list again.

Please dont stop writing. I love what you do