Tuesday, December 13, 2011

5ive.

Today is a special day, as it marks the beginning of life as I now know it. See, five years ago, I was settling in at work, preparing for my day and tidying up loose ends from the day previous when my boss swung around the corner of my work station and uttered those dreaded words, "hey Nate, ya gotta minute?"
Crap.
What did I do this time? Who did I anger? Stevie Wonder? Ed Kowalczyk? Yanni? Did the owner of the company, who I might add, resembled Hitler, find out that I referred to him as Hitler, and his lackeys as Gestapo?
None of the above. Here is how I remember the "meeting" and how it unfolded.
Boss: Hey Nate, shut the door if you could, please.
Me: Uh, o.k. So, what's up?
Boss: Well, looks like something has come up.
Me: And?
Boss: A little earlier this morning, I gave the other guys your workload, as something tells me that you are going to be busy.
Me: And?
Boss: So, everything is taken care of, why don't you take a few days off.
Me: Why? Who's complaining now? Was it Yanni? Cause if it was, tell him kiss my......
Boss: NATE. Settle, Beth called. She is going to have an emergency C-Section and I have been asked to allow you a few days off. Nate, you are going to be a dad.
Me: Yeah.
Boss: .....
Me: .....
Boss: Well?
Me: .....
Boss: I suggest you get a move on.
Me: .....
Boss: I'll drop by the hospital later. OK?
Me: .....
Me: .....
Boss: Go!

I stood up, walked out of his office and went straight to my car. Still in a daze and cursing Yanni, I got to the dub but forgot my keys inside the building. Luckily for me, boss man was a pro and met me as I turned around to walk back in.
 Now, I knew for seven month's that this day was coming, and I was looking forward to it, but (now, it was actually happening.) and all I could muster was a few .....
The following five years have been a.....


Happy Birthday Stinky Pete. Daddy loves you.


5 comments:

Mynx said...

Happy happy birthday to your gorgeous little girl. Enjoy these special days, they go by way too quick, beleive me, my baby turned 15 yesterday

Pearson Report said...

Ditto to what my pal Mynx wrote...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR GORGEOUS LITTLE GIRL.

My "little girl" is now twenty-four (had her when I was 10...[falling off my chair laughing]) - and I'm shocked at where the years have gone...BLUR is an understatement.

I hope you all have a wonderful time eating cake!

Cheers, Jenny
PEARSON REPORT

Haven said...

Aw Happy Birthday! Too cute.

Jennifer said...

Great Story and a very Happy Birthday to your daughter:)

stacey said...

sweet!!!!
happy bday, what a cutie, and how lucky for her to have such a great dad! :)