Wednesday, June 22, 2011

One Man's Ode To The Zoo

Recently, my wife, my daughter and I packed up the Subaru and ventured out into the world to fancy the local zoo. Bear loves monkeys so it was only fitting that the story below, did indeed take place. Now one must know that the zoo in our fair city is a nice one. It consistently rates in the top ten nationwide, as far as the number of displays, size, etc. and is fairly inexpensive. So, I figured I would share our zoo visit by with blogworld, while adding my own little (twist) of humor to make this less painful for all of you.

Off to the Zoo

As you can see, Bear is ready to go. She has been waiting forever, hence, the suitcase, packed to the gills with her favorite Cars characters, fairies, princess's, miscellaneous Zoobles and Peter the Rabbit. She would have brought her entire collection of pillow pets had I not nixed that nonsense and limited her stuffed animal entourage to just one.

Now, I must preface this by admitting that, if I were a superstitious man, I would have turned right around and left after having witnessed the act below. But I am not, and so, we move forward. And I figured that the next best thing that I could do, would be for me to perform a public service and mention it here

Funky Monkey Butt Lovin'
It must also be said that this post would have taken on a whole different meaning, had these monkey's been "doin'  like they do it on The Discovery Channel" (butt), it was an innocent instinctual act that is commonplace for primates to perform.
There are two monkey's in the picture. Monkey number one is laying on its face with its butt in the air. The second monkey is walking toward the tree, (butt) before this shot was snapped, monkey number two was behind monkey number one, "grooming" its counterparts bung. And this is the first display we came across. My daughter asked me what monkey two was doing. I told her that they were cleaning each other.
(I almost loosed a reply that I would have come to regret.)


Moving forward, quickly........we came across a few more species of primate, an American alligator, a hideous crime against nature Burmese python, two lions, a leopard (my favorite), hyenas, lemurs, more random monkeys, otters, sea lions, a red panda (pictured above) and a couple o' giraffe. None of which, I might add, were doing anything that could be deemed as scandalous, except for the boa constrictor, it was breathing.

All in all, it was a good time. Bear was happy, wife was happy and the monkey's were (obviously) happy.
And, while we are on the topic of happy monkey's, let's wrap this thing up with song, performed by Jack Johnson.


4 comments:

Jewels said...

Glad bear was happy...glad you got a Bloodhound Gang reference in there and most importantly a reference to "Rooking of the Year"...that is my favorite line in the whole movie! "Funky butt loving!" lmao.

So glad you, the wife, and especially Bear had a great time at the zoo! :)

Mynx said...

going to the zoo, zoo, zoo, how about you, you, you. Okay old song. No pics of the Boa Constrictor? Awww.
Looks like you had a great time and Bear is gorgeous with her case

becca said...

wow great adventure there my friend glad everyone had fun even the monkeys i would suspect.

@Mynx thank you for putting that song in my head i'll be singing it for days now

by the way your daughter is absolutely the cutest thing ever and i'm impress with her packing skills she took all the important items needed for trip to zoo. great post and great trip.

becca said...

wow great adventure there my friend glad everyone had fun even the monkeys i would suspect.

@Mynx thank you for putting that song in my head i'll be singing it for days now

by the way your daughter is absolutely the cutest thing ever and i'm impress with her packing skills she took all the important items needed for trip to zoo. great post and great trip.