Monday, May 02, 2011

(I) Stands For Indie Rock.

Downward we go, into the rabbit hole.

( I ) Over the past twenty or so years, my musical taste has changed rather drastically. During the early 90's, I listened to hip hop. I was a product of my environment. I went to a high school where white boys were in the minority. Most kids listened to N.W.A., Dre, 2Pac and a host of west coast bangers. I was into the east coast movement. Crews like A Tribe Called Quest, Leaders Of The New School, EPMD, De La and The Wu. At that time, in my mind, there was rap, and there was hip hop. During my early teens, I inundated my ears with break beat and dudes like Egyptian Lover, Sugarhill, Afrika Bambaataa and Grandmaster Flash, and yes, I was in a breakin' crew.

Fast forward to 2000, 2001. My parents had moved to a "suburb" of the city during my senior year of high school. It wasn't a burbs really, it was it's own town but it felt like the burbs. I did not think that much would change moving just fifteen miles north but man, was I in for a surprise. The kids in the burbs had dad's that ran for congress, held seats as State Representatives, were noted doctors, lawyers and business owners. The majority of kids were pretty decent. But there were a few that had a "My daddy makes monopoly like money, so that makes me better than you" type of attitude. And my response was one like, "Whatever, you trust fund baby. Your dad may make big bank but my daddy can kick your daddy's ass." The kids I hung with listened to Depeche Mode, Violent Femme and The Cure. The stuff that I would label now as being "emo-ish". And, I must admit, I took a liking to these bands also but, it would be during the college years, that my I found my musical niche.
College. An abundance of hot chicks, keg parties and good times. I remained local while most of my schoolmates went away. I worked two jobs and learned a little bit about life, but, more importantly, I was introduced to
Indie music
I first caught wind of bands like Death Cab For Cutie, The Shins, Arcade Fire, Beirut and Andrew Bird, but that was only the beginning of my infactuation. My anthem at one time, was Rockin' the Suburbs by Ben Folds and the song that my wife and I danced to at our wedding was Ben Folds, "The Luckiest". I wore him out along with Ben Kweller, Death From Above 1979, Trail Of Dead, Decemberists and Dispatch. I went through a maturation phase or something like it, and found that I did not need to rock out every second of every day, so I slowed down a touch, only to wear out the likes of Jack Johnson, Ben Harper and my favorite, Counting Crows. (Which by the way, is not Indie. It is labeled "pop" by the snobs (take no offence, Lance) but I label it complaint rock.)

I still listen to all of these groups today, along with a few that I have found through a local Internet radio station, headed by the youth pastor at my church, Remedy FM. It was here that I found Anberlin, Brave Saint Saturn, High Flight Society and Mat Kearney. I could go on and on but I will not bore you any longer. Below, you will find a few of my favorites. Enjoy !!!!!!!


10 comments:

Mynx said...

Truthfully I havent heard of most of those artists with the exceptio of Ben Folds and that is probably because he lived in my city for a while.
Loved the last clip though

Jewels said...

I adore some of the bands/singers that you talked about. My new infatuation is The Black Keys and I have loved Mat Kearney for as quite some time now. Lately Adele's "21" is on rotation with Grace Potter & The Nocturnals, James Blunt, Mumford & Sons, Muse, and my go to all time favorite The Dave Matthews Band.

Loved this post!

Lazarus said...

ib,

You and LG are from different generations, as he could tell by reviewing your listening list, on which there were only two or three groups he's heard of. OK, so LG is old... but, nonetheless, he just signed on to follow your interesting blog and has posted a comment on The LG Report in response to yours. But you'll have to click back there to read it, sorry (LG is a click whore!) Thanks for stopping by earlier, much appreciated.

ib said...

Mynx, it really does not matter. You are above all of my nonsense anyhow. I highly suggest you check Kearney's stuff out. Heck, I'll send them to you.

Jewels, the Keys do rock and they are from Ohio, not far from where I was born. Mat K. is stupid awesome and Adele is on fire. I dig DMB but can only listen to so much before I get nauseated.

Laz, are you speaking in third person? Or is LG a separate entity? Regardless, your site is one that I plan on making regular comments on, being that it cracks me up. I will go back over to read the rebuttal, as I am sure to enjoy it as much as your posts.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Here's to making it this far, congratulations! I have an award for you!!

becca said...

loved these song they were new to me but i love listening to new music and learning so thank you definitely going to go check more music out by these people and maybe download some thanks again

Random Girl said...

Love your musical insight. Always looking for something new to be obsessed with although I was already on to most of which you listed. I have gone through many music phases, sometimes varies by day or mood even but my life soundtrack rocks and I wouldn't change a thing!

Semi True Torystellar said...

I am so out of the loop. Your post made me feel old. I love 80s and 90s music but I am not sure that I could narrow it down to a 'type'. I rarely listened to the Cure except for being in love on a Friday. I've never heard of most of these bands. Is indie music like folk music. I also am a big enough geek to admit to loving show tunes and Jimmy Buffett.

Drake Sigar said...

You have my respect for admitting your past musical tastes, I usually pretend those days never happened!

ib said...

Elizabeth, thank you. I will keep this award out of sight until I am actually finished with the challenge.

Becca, I am but a humble servant, trying to bring good music to the masses.

Randy, my life soundtrack is jumbalaya-ish. I listen to most of this stuff still, to this day.

STT, I meant not to make you feel old. You don't look a day over 25. Some indie music is folksy but the true definition is simply, group or groups that record, produce and distribute through minor, independent labels, and not with the giant corporate monsters. It really isn't a distinct sound.

Drake, I feel your plight, friend.