Monday, May 16, 2011

(N) Stands For News Media.

Completed: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, M, O, U, N
Not Completed: L, P, Q, R, S, T, V, W, X, Y, Z.
News & Media

One would be hard pressed to accuse me of masking my disdain for the mainstream media. It started with O.J. Simpson and the coverage of his carnival show "trial". For months, we were inundated with clips, court sketches, quotes, testimony, Johnny Cochran, Judge Ito and Marcia Clark. T.V. channels were popping up on cable that were airing the trial live as it unfolded. Ohhhhh the drama, all day, every day. If you were like me, you were still asking questions (after) the thing had ended. Did he do it? Was he framed? Does Johnny Cochran really have a soul? and What the hell is a Cato Kalin?

Fast forward to September 11, 2001. A passenger plane rip's through the North Tower at the World Trade Center, only to be followed by a second passenger plane, minutes later, that smashed into the South Tower, located in New York City. Soon after, a third jet crashed into a portion of the Pentagon and a fourth, crashed into a field in Pennsylvania, only to find out later, that it was on it's way to either the White House or Capitol Hill. They were quickly deemed as terrorist attacks orchestrated by al-Quida. In the midst of the chaos, widespread panic and fear, guess who showed up at ground zero with mic and camera in hand. Yep, the flipping Media. It was sometime during the first few days of coverage that I started to get agitated with the media contingent. The straw that broke the camels back was an image of reporters and camera crews crawling over each other, trying to interview the widow of a deceased fire fighter. Animals acted like this, not people.

Since then, I make it a point to turn the T.V. off around the news hour. I filter my intake on the Internet as much as possible, but that is a battle that I rarely win. And please, don't get me wrong, I am not completely ignorant to the goings on in the world, but I don't seek them out either. News travels fast and unfortunately, it gets to almost everybody, very quickly. In my opinion, the same story has been on heavy rotation for the past fifteen years. The only thing that changes is the body count and the name of the terrorist organization that is responsible.
"Life's tough, but it's even tougher if your stupid." - John Wayne 

7 comments:

Dad, ur, I mean Pop said...

I like your comments on the nearly worthless news media. All they do is feed the morans of our society. You make me proud.

Pearson Report said...

I see we walk to the same drumbeat.

Basically news sucks and I limit myself to its exposure - sort of like Chernobyl, I like to stay a good distance away from it for fear of catching a dose of something deadly, like stupidity and ignorance.

Great post - I like your thinking and how you put it out there for others to chew on! (like good rawhide, as my dog Lucky would say!)

Happy Thoughts from your A-Z cheering team leader, (not how I self appointed me the leader - bold, eh!)
Jenny

ib said...

Dad, your rubbing off on me. But I wouldn't have it any other way. There was not much to work with but you managed to mold me into a "mini you".

Jenny, lead away. I will stal.....er, (follow) you where ever it is you take me.

Drake Sigar said...

My beef with the media is centered on them claiming a harmless fad will kill our children. Rock & roll, Dungeons & Dragons, video games, etc. It’s instant cheap ratings, and the trick has been pulled off so many times the actual stories stopped making sense long ago.

Lance said...

my degree is in broadcast communications. I worked in tv and radio from 1988 to 1994.

Thesed ays, I rarely watch the news. I read stuff online, catch stuff on the radio, research issues when it comes time to vote.

I find the media lazy and stupid.i know, i was one of them.

good post

ib said...

Lance, thank you. I am hyper sensitive to violence and gore. I was not always like this, but I guess being a daddy and husband has made me soft.

becca said...

glad to know i'm not the only one that doesn't follow the news faithfully. I'm not stupid but i also don't suck in every word