Sunday, May 29, 2011

(T) Stands For The Ghosts That Haunt Me.


T
Completed: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, M, N, O, P, R, S, T, U, W, Z
Not Completed: L, Q, V, X, Y

Today, I have decided to share something a little different from what you may be used to reading on here. The title of this post happens to be that of an album recorded by The Crash Test Dummies, from the late eighties, early nineties. I am sure that most of you will be leaving now, and I can dig that. C.T.D. was not a cool band and many people scoff at them now, and for the exception of "Mmmm, Mmmm" on "God Shuffled His Feet", they arrived and exited fairly quietly. But, as music has changed over the years, I find myself digging in the crates, listening to music that I deemed as "cool" when I was a high school senior. I was and still am listening to Live, "Throwing Copper", even though they have since dismantled and gone their separate ways. While everybody was jocking on Red Hot and "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", I had Beck's "Mellow Gold" on constant rotation with Stone Temple Pilots' "Core." But, as is the case most of the time, one song really stuck with me throughout the years and even today, I marvel at what it means to me. The song? "At My Funeral" off of "Ghosts". Around the same time I had first heard this song, my grandfather had passed away and it dealt me a critical blow, but, I would like to think that I came across this song for a reason, and now, I share it with you.
Crash Test Dummies, "At My Funeral"

7 comments:

Pearson Report said...

Wow, I'm a bit speechless, ib - and you know me that's not a common occurrence.

You really have a way with words and with picking songs. In fairness, I have not heard this song, but would you mind if I said that I'm putting it on my "to buy" list for my ipod - it was that powerful.

You know, ib, sometimes, in life, stuff happens and we don't always know why - best not to ponder it too long anyway - but this here bit of "soul" that you put forth is might deep my friend, and has hit a chord - makes me think of my dad.

Without a doubt one of the best posts I've read.

And...you know what? I like the easy steady flow of your A-Z posts, in no particular order, and without pressure to complete by a certain date - I'm really enjoying the process.

The next time I do a challenge I'm not letting the time line beat me into the ground - no, just slow and steady. Works, doesn't it?!

Thanks for pressing the pause button in my world with this excellent post.

Cheers, Jenny

Drake Sigar said...

What Pearson said, except more manly.

ib said...

Jenny, thank you. I urge you to add this song to your iPod buy list and would go one further. I would send you the CD if it came down to it, seriously. You have become such a source of encouragement for me in more than just blogging/writing. I am truly blessed to have had the privelage of meeting you.

Drake, what I said to Pearson, but more manly.

becca said...

I second what Jenny said and that my friend was a powerful song it is so going on my ipod thank you for sharing it and the reason behind it. a nice remembrance of your grandfather. hugs

becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.