Monday, March 07, 2011

Childhood Dreams

The day began as did any other day. Men awoke from slumber and Aide's tended to equipment while maids fed horses and oiled saddles. Archers brought with them Bowyers and Fletcher's to insure that their arrows would shoot true, while the archer himself tended to his own bow, for only he knew how taught the hemp should lay when nocked. Blacksmiths addressed armor while soldiers were responsible for their own weaponry. Swords need be ground and polished daily to ensure a razors edge. It would be the only thing that one could trust fully while on the field during battle so it was normal fodder for one to upkeep his own blade.
 
These were not commoners that swore the oath to uphold the Law. These men had been bred for battle. They were pulled from their mothers womb wielding a sword. They spent countless hours on range while their siblings were sent off to schools of higher learning. It was not about money or fame. It was about upholding Law and defending the King. It was about fearless loyalty to your brothers in arms and making sure that promises made to loved ones for safe return were kept.
 
As I look at my men from above the encampment, mine eyes welled up with tears. I knew that any number of these men, my beloved men, would be laid to rest in the coming days. The Skithe had extended his reign far into our homeland and began spatting threats at our King, and this, I could not have. Skithe was not aware, but his death was drawing closer with each passing day. I stood atop the gully, calmly caressing Fires hilt. Fire was the first of two swords fashioned for me, the second being Ice. Fire was forged using the ashes left behind from my brothers passing. It raged and spat violence. She held no prejudice and yearned for revenge. I tried to keep Fire sheathed as much as I was able, for I did not like who I became when I loosed her on the field of battle. And the second, named Ice, was much more subdued, but when mine hand and it's hilt met, we united as one in the same. As my brother would say, "watching Ice and I on the field was like watching a master poet, put pen to paper." Ice was a gift, given to me by my father when I was deemed a soldier by The Guard. It was nothing more than a well crafted blade, made for sparring. It wasn't until my brother's murder, that I would come to know the true power behind Ice's subtlety. It was not until the first of my tears fell onto it's cross handle, that it began to speak to me. 
 
 
 
When I was younger, this was a recurring dream that I had had. I started writing a book with a buddy of mine a few years back but for one reason or another, the idea got shelved and I tucked it away with a box o' dreams, along with a few songs and a few poems that I had wrote in college. This is an excerpt from the prologue. It is kind of funny how things like this come back around. I had completely forgotten about this up until a day or two ago, when I ran across it while looking for something entirely unrelated. I hope you enjoy this.
 
Catch you all on the flip.

13 comments:

HavenNyx said...

It's eloquent and lovely. Thank you for sharing this.

ib said...

Haven, your quick. I just posted this about seven minutes ago. Thank you for reading and you are welcome, as always. Be well, beautiful Sith, be well.

Lance said...

I like the symbolism of the swords. There's a integrity to the piece that pulls everything together. I enjoyed it.

ib said...

Lance, thank you. I appreciate knowing that you enjoyed it. That, in itself, makes me want to continue on with it.

AbsolutelyPrimed said...

Question...why did you make Fire feminine yet Ice remained unidentified to whether it be male or female?

Very much enjoyed it ib...always do like your writings.

ib said...

AP, good question. I began writing this with the intention of getting into this more but as it turned out, I never got that far. Fire was to hold his deceased wife's anger for having been killed by the bad guy and Ice was holding his brothers sadness for a reason that had not been clearly thought out when I stopped writing.

becca said...

wow what amazing writing and the symbolism is very interesting. well done

ib said...

Thank you Becca.

Jumble Mash said...

It's beautiful!! I want more!

Random Girl said...

This definitely deserved to see the light of day. Great writing!

bruce said...

the pen and poem line is awesome, but then again, so is the piece.

the wordsmithing has me hooked.

the great thing about a writing dream? as long as it is written, it can only be undone by ones own hand.

forge this piece, with broad strokes of a mightier pen, my habitual friend!

great post!

ib said...

Tress, I was thinking about opening up a new page and adding to it every now and then.

RG, thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to read.

ib said...

Bruce, thank you. I might put more on here so let it be known.