Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Something To Ponder


I was listening to Anberlin this morning while on the way to drop Bear off at school and a verse in the song entitled (*Fin) from their Cities album always seems to rev up my thought motor. I started wondering about how other's would perceive the message, if at all. If it does intrigue you, share your take on it. You can listen to the song if you scroll down to the bottom of my home page, as it is included in the music player. Listening to the entire song, I believe, would explain more of what he is getting at, but, this verse in particular is on a constant rotation in my mind, especially the "Were not questioning God, just those He chose, to carry on His Cross.

Billy, don't you understand?
Timothy stood as long as he could and now
you made his faith disappear.
More like a magician and less like a man of the cloth.
We're not questioning God.
Just those he chose to carry on His cross.
We're no better, you'll see.
Just all of us, the lost causes.

This is not a soapbox for arguing your faith or lack thereof. It is a simple question that I hope some of you answer. It is not an open invitation to bash faith, religion, etc. I'll explain what it is that I take from the song and why it stands out for me.  
Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

becca said...

it' very interesting and i'm thinking how best to put it. I have always believed in God i don't however believe you have to go to church or spout religion to be a believer. I find more mean spirited people in church then out. so i do wonder about these people you say they are carrying on in God's name but then do things that aren't Godly. definitely i think kind of question.

ib said...

That is why so many people are turned off to faith. You only hear about the "Christians" that spark up controversy, like that quack that wanted to burn the Koran's in protest of the Mosque being built BY ground zero. And then there are the ones that protested at a fallen soldiers funeral with signs saying "Thank God for Dead Marines". That is not the faith that I have come to know. Following Christ is based on loving your brother and sisters in his name.

Chief aka Dad http://unsoundreasoning.blogspot.com said...

I'm still mulling this over....I'll be back to comment on it

Jumble Mash said...

I'm with Dad. I just don't know how to answer it.