Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Back AT iT.

Hello fellow blogger's and welcome back. The past few days have been a cornucopia, if you will, of the good and the not so good.

The Not So Good

Unfortunately, it's back to work for 8 straight. I am thankful to be gainfully employed, especially in the climate of today's job market (or lack thereof) but I wouldn't be a loyal employee if I was happy all of the time. My job is entirely dictated by the weather. If the weather is nice, I get paid to read. If the weather outside is frightful, my job is, well, frightful. Today, the weather is pretty decent so I can't complain but my 6 days off are supposed to allow me enough time to relax and recharge the batteries, right? Instead, my old friend O.C.D. reared it's ugly head and attempted to sabotage my hard earned time off. I say "tried to" because it wasn't all bad, but we will talk about the good stuff in a little more detail later. I'll just dwell on the bad stuff for now because that is what good little optimists do, right? The majority of my issues revolve around the financials and I will admit, I am an idiot when it comes to the handling of the monies responsibly. Until now, it has not been an issue of mine. I mean, I am no Donald Trump but I didn't have any real responsibility until I got hitched and bought a house. Add a little one into the mix a few years later and BAM, instant responsibility. Dad, if you read this, I admit it, you were wise and I was foolish. I should have listened to you. I am a dope. I confess.

Onto "The So Good"

Last week had it's normal messiness but in the middle of it all, there was a lot of beauty too. For example, my little lady made it through her first day of Preschool. And to make all the more awesome, she loved being there and was not afraid when Mom and I tip toed out of her classroom. It was somewhat bittersweet. My little girl is growing up, but all in all, it was a very cool thing to experience with her. Lately, she has been melting my heart into puddles of goo. She will walk up to me before I depart for work and will say, "daddy, you are my best boy". For me, it does not get any better than that. One of the unfortunate side effects of my O.C.D. is one where I convince myself that I am not doing the daddy/husband thing well enough. My wife, bless her soul, is always supportive when I'm having "one of those days" and always reinforces my thinking by telling me that I am doing a good job on both fronts.  
I also did what some would equate to the coming of the first horseman of the Apocalypse. I went outside and did yard work. I'm not talking pulling a weed or two here and there. I am talking all out, jumping into the bush and hedge trimming Rambo style. It made me feel like a man, man!!!! Arr, arr, arr, ar. My neighbor let me use his power tools and I must admit, I am somewhat shocked that this story did not end with me, lopping off a few fingers, requiring a visit to the local ER. But, I manned up and did the deed. I also got to hangout with a good buddy of mine and mow down a few terrorists. (Not really, PS3 Modern Warfare 2) but for a brief moment, I had you thinking I was a Navy Seal, didn't I?  Oh, I also made my first pot of iced coffee and it turned out well. Starbucks does not have anything on me. (Except for maybe, a few billion dollars) But I don't count that. On a side not, I just reread that last sentence and it reminded me of how white and dorky I have become. I used to be cool. I wonder what happened.
Here are a few funnies that I came across while perusing the inter web.

No comments: